Today we ran a demo event to show the prototypes and outcomes from the 2012 Summer Labs. The event was an informal “Trade Fair” format, with 5 demo teams each working at a table to demonstrate and explain the prototypes.
Summary Outcome of BBC News Labs’ “Summer Labs”, 2012
- The Choice of “People, places & organisations” as a starting point for topic groupings for News worked well; not too granular, not too restrictive.
- “Themes” will also be required – e.g. “smoking”, “austerity” etc – as these are frequently the more interesting topics for our audiences.
- The Juicer, while having some inaccuracies, was a great data source for prototyping
- “Events” on its own is not a great way to organise News, and gave rise to significant confusion in discussions. However, we know there is a significant SEO opportunity in “News Event” aggregations.
There were demos from the 3 Labs:
- Location (local & global)
- Events & Politics
Some pictures from the BBC News Labs “Summer Labs” demo event
BBC News Labs demo fair