A great phrase being used around the office: “We need to support more Speedboat Projects – enable small teams to shoot off ahead with an idea…”
A “Speedboat Project” is characterised by:
- Small, stand-alone, “enabled” team.
- Given a specific project & mission.
- Succeed/Fail Fast -type thing.
- Not tightly coupled to other projects.
- No large integration investment/support required.
- Give them promotion and support, and let them “shoot off ahead of the main supertanker, on an exploration”-type thing.
I like it.